Strategic Plan 2017-2022: Transforming Lives – Opening Worlds
The University of Miami Libraries undertook a participatory planning process during academic year 2016-2017 to align the Libraries’ vision, mission, and strategic priorities with the University’s Roadmap to Our New Century, as well as relevant trends in the higher education and research library environments. Four principles guided the process: (1) focus on broad participation and engagement; (2) build a culture that embraces change and fosters achievement; (3) deepen organizational capacity; and (4) rely upon shared leadership.
As a result, the Libraries have adopted a new vision, mission, and values statement, in addition to five goals to observe during the coming five years with a set of 22 closely-aligned strategies. During the 2017-2018 year the Libraries will focus on a set of 46 initiatives and tactics, representing activity streams that are associated with every goal.
The Libraries’ Strategic Plan goals have been mapped to align closely with the Roadmap to our New Century. The alignment can be found here.
1. The Heart of Learning
2. Resource for Hemispheric and Global Knowledge
3. Facilitate Research and Scholarship
4. A Place for Dialogue
5. Enable the Evolving Workforce
1. The Heart of Learning
Create new modes of support for teaching, learning, student achievement, and patient-centered care through innovative leadership, transformation of spaces, reinvention of services, and collaboration with relevant University programs.
- Collaborate with University partners to offer a seamless array of learning and research services.
- Promote peer-to-peer learning.
- Strengthen and promote the Libraries’ teaching role.
- Become a cross-disciplinary hub across the University and on each campus for fostering learning, creating, and health and well-being.
- Deliver services at point of need.
- Optimize use of library spaces for learning.
2. A Resource for Hemispheric and Global Knowledge
Focus our collection strategies to enrich and demonstrate the relevance of the Libraries’ print and digital collections.
- Build collections and conduct digitization initiatives with global, hemispheric, and local partners to meet the teaching, learning, research, and clinical care needs of the University community.
- Facilitate seamless discovery and access to UM cultural property, library collections and institutional repository content.
- Enable and lead in the transformative use of print and digital collections.
- Ensure the long-term preservation of print and digital collections.
- Increase international engagement at both organizational and individual levels.
3. Facilitate Research and Scholarship
Build new services and infrastructure to support and accelerate research.
- Support digital scholarship.
- Support curation and discovery of University faculty scholarship.
- Support openness in scholarly communication.
- Facilitate collaboration and interdisciplinary research partnerships.
4. A Place for Dialogue
Foster understanding by serving as a trusted and inspirational venue conducive to the conduct of civil discourse and debate.
- Engage with UM and community parteners.
- Host public lectures, colloquia, and dialogs on issues of importance.
- Optimize use of library spaces for research and creativity.
5. Enable the Evolving Workforce
Prepare library faculty and staff for achieving excellence in new and emerging roles.
- Develop knowledge base of employee capabilities.
- Increase employee awareness of the Libraries’ service programs.
- Ensure employees have tools and skills to provide excellent service.
- Increase employee awareness of professional development opportunities.
GOAL 1. The Heart of Learning
STRATEGY 1.1 : Collaborate with University partners to offer a seamless array of learning and research services.
- TACTIC 1.1.1 — Complete the first phase transformation of the first floor of Richter Library into a Learning Commons — a collaborative service and learning space for the Library and library’s partners.
- TACTIC 1.1.2 — Complete planning of the second phase transformation of the first floor of Richter Library into a Learning Commons — an innovative learning space for learning and collaboration.
- TACTIC 1.1.3 — Improve student experience of academic services by integrating new partners into the Learning Commons as needed.
- TACTIC 1.1.4 — Amplify the Learning Commons’ impact throughout the Libraries and in other settings when possible.
- TACTIC 1.1.5 — Raise the visibility of the Learning Commons nationally and internationally by presenting at national conferences and venues about the work of the Learning Commons.
STRATEGY 1.2: Promote peer-to-peer learning.
- TACTIC 1.2.1 — Provide increased access to emerging technologies and equipment for check-out in Creative Studio in multiple locations in the University libraries.
- TACTIC 1.2.2 — Serve as a service hub for Magic Leap equipment and other artificial intelligence technologies.
- TACTIC 1.2.3 — Develop Library Research Scholars Program and Adobe Scholars Program to give students more opportunities to develop international research and creative projects that are outside of the traditional curriculum.
- TACTIC 1.2.4 — Launch Peer Research Consultants’ program to deliver peer-to-peer research services for undergraduates in the Learning Commons’ Consultation Zone.
STRATEGY 1.3: Strengthen and promote the Libraries’ teaching role.
- TACTIC 1.3.1 — Leverage the Liaison Librarian Council to develop a coordinated strategy across the Libraries to promote the expertise of librarians and the suite of services they offer: personalized consultations, customized workshops, and on-demand instructional sessions.
- TACTIC 1.3.2 — Develop methods and processes for evaluating the qualitative impact of librarians’ teaching efforts on learning.
- TACTIC 1.3.3 — Revise core job description for liaison librarian work to align with findings of “Conversation Project” — a qualitative assessment of faculty research and teaching needs.
STRATEGY 1.4: Become a cross-disciplinary hub across the University and on each campus for fostering learning, creating, and health, and well-being.
- TACTIC 1.4.1 –Integrate librarians and align library liaison work with the University’s Roadmap to Our New Century interdisciplinary initiatives (like U-LINK teams) through engagement with key leadership in Office of Research.
STRATEGY 1.5: Deliver services at point of need.
- TACTIC 1.5.1 — Offer library-to-library delivery services (instead of U.S. or UM mail) to all three campuses.
- TACTIC 1.5.2 — Implement the Textbook Affordability pilot in partnership with the Camner Academic Resource Center and the UM Campus Store (formerly UM Bookstore).
- TACTIC 1.5.3 — Build and deploy redesigned library websites based on UX best practices to improve discovery, access, and utilization of library services, collections, and programs.
STRATEGY 1.6: Optimize use of library spaces for learning.
- TACTIC 1.6.1 — Refresh furniture and technology to ensure spaces are commodious and flexible.
- TACTIC 1.6.2 — Develop a master plan for the Richter Library and collection storage supporting all University libraries.
GOAL 2. A Resource for Hemispheric and Global Knowledge
STRATEGY 2.1: Build collections and conduct digitization initiatives with global, hemispheric and local partners to meet the teaching, learning, research, and clinical care needs of the University community.
- TACTIC 2.1.1 — Plan for and begin processing the Kislak Collection of the Early Americas, Exploration and Navigation prior to its arrival at UM.
- TACTIC 2.1.2 — Develop a systematic collections assessment and management strategy, including usage analysis, to support collection development, management, and digitization decisions.
STRATEGY 2.2: Facilitate seamless discovery of and access to University cultural property, library collections and institutional repository content.
- TACTIC 2.2.1 — Include Lowe Art Museum collections in the uSearch interface.
- TACTIC 2.2.2 — Include library repositories (AToM, CONTENTdm, Digital Commons) in the uSearch interface.
- TACTIC 2.2.3 — Test and pilot digital collection management systems to replace CONTENTdm.
- TACTIC 2.2.4 — Go live as a DPLA South Florida service hub.
- TACTIC 2.2.5 — Initiate OCLC Reclamation for library collections to ensure accurate representation of UM holdings in the WorldCat database, facilitating interlibrary loan and discovery services.
- TACTIC 2.2.6 — Explore and adopt software (e.g., SNAC) and processing workflows that when implemented will routinely expose special collections to Wikipedia and other search engines.
STRATEGY 2.3: Enable and lead the transformative use of print and digital collections.
- TACTIC 2.3.1 — Implement the Mellon-Funded project “CREATE: Leveraging Cultural Resources through Intra-Institutional Collaboration.”
- TACTIC 2.3.2 — Assess and potentially expand our effort to make digital collections more available for computational uses (such as the La Gaceta project).
STRATEGY 2.4: Ensure the long-term preservation of print and digital collections.
- TACTIC 2.4.1 — Ensure all appropriate digital collections are preserved in the APTrust.
- TACTIC 2.4.2 — Test and document current local digital preservation infrastructure.
STRATEGY 2.5: Increase international engagement at both organizational and individual levels.
- TACTIC 2.5.1 — Host IATUL (Int’l Association of University Libraries) 2021 annual meeting and regional summits.
- TACTIC 2.5.2 — Enhance faculty awareness of international professional development opportunities and review travel funding support.
GOAL 3. Facilitate Research and Scholarship
STRATEGY 3.1: Support digital scholarship.
- TACTIC 3.1.1 — Transform the GIS Lab into a lab that supports a range of digital scholarship activities.
- TACTIC 3.1.2 — Form a cohesive Digital Scholarship unit under the umbrella of Digital Strategies.
STRATEGY 3.2: Support curation and discovery of University faculty scholarship.
- TACTIC 3.2.1 — Further develop Research Data Services in the UM Libraries.
- TACTIC 3.2.2 — Partner with relevant University units to ensure that the libraries provide a comprehensive record of UM faculty scholarship.
STRATEGY 3.3: Support openness in scholarly communication.
- TACTIC 3.3.2 — Develop policies and guidelines for direct repository deposit and for journal publishing.
STRATEGY 3.4: Facilitate collaboration and interdisciplinary research partnerships.
- TACTIC 3.4.1 — Implement “The Conversation Project”, an initiative to engage faculty in conversation about their current and future research and teaching.
- TACTIC 3.4.2 — Develop a Faculty Commons on the third floor of Richter Library that can facilitate interdisciplinary faculty collaboration, serve as event space, and connect to related third floor services (active learning spaces, conference room, digital scholarship and research librarians).
GOAL 4. A Place for Dialogue
STRATEGY 4.1: Engage with UM and community partners.
- TACTIC 4.1.1 — Work with regional memory organizations to include content in the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) Florida Network.
STRATEGY 4.2: Host public lectures, colloquia, and dialogs on issues of importance.
- TACTIC 4.2.1 — Work with Facilities to ensure timely completion of the Kislak Center and promote the facility as a welcoming venue for UM School, College, Center, and Institute community outreach programs.
STRATEGY 4.3: Optimize use of library spaces for research and creativity.
- TACTIC 4.3.1 — Host programs in new (enclosed) Flexible Learning Environment in Learning Commons (completed portion), including student-driven programs.
GOAL 5. Enable the Evolving Workforce
STRATEGY 5.1: Develop knowledge base of employee capabilities.
- TACTIC 5.1.1 — Develop a personnel “skills map” or expertise database for the Libraries.
STRATEGY 5.2: Increase employee awareness of Libraries service programs.
- TACTIC 5.2.1 — Increase faculty and staff engagement through appropriate action steps based upon areas identified in the Gallup Survey results.
STRATEGY 5.3: Ensure that employees have the tools and skills necessary to provide excellent service.
- TACTIC 5.3.1 — Develop a gap analysis regarding the skills and tools needed by library personnel.
STRATEGY 5.4: Increase employee awareness of professional development opportunities.
- TACTIC 5.4.1 — Create an intranet page with links to existing opportunities provided by our membership organizations.