To ensure that all University of Miami students, staff, faculty, and visitors have convenient access to a dedicated space in the library for the purposes of meditation, prayer, contemplation, and reflection by individuals or small groups. Related to this space are Mindfulness Programs and Mindfulness Resources.
Meditation Room – Richter Library, 2nd Floor, Rm 215 E
- The room is available whenever Richter Library is open.
- No appointments are required.
- The use of the space is reserved for quiet meditation, prayer, contemplation, and reflection.
- The room is not to be used as a lounge, nap, or study space.
Entering and Using the Room
- Shoes should be removed upon entering the room and placed on the racks provided at the entrance.
- Turn off or silence cell phones. The use of cellphones in the space is prohibited.
- Food and beverages are not permitted.
- The room should remain clean and neat.
- No signs or advertising may be posted.
- No candles, incense, or any other flammable items are permitted.
- Do not touch the living plants in the “Grow Wall,” which are cultivated by the Student Government’s ECO Agency.
Leaving the Room
- Reset all furniture to its original location.
- Be sure to collect and remove any personal belongings.
- Do not remove any furniture or supplies from the room.
Revised on September 14, 2021
The University of Miami Libraries thanks the Dean of Students, UM Chaplains Association, UMindfulness, Student Government, ECO Board, and other campus organizations for their participation in developing this space and policy.