Welcome Message from the Dean
Dear University of Miami Community,
It is my great pleasure to welcome new and returning students, faculty, and staff to the University Libraries. The Libraries rank among the top 50 academic research libraries in North America and support the full range of research, teaching, learning, and clinical care activities across all three University campuses located in Coral Gables, the Health District near downtown Miami, and on Virginia Key. The University Libraries provide extraordinarily broad and deep print and electronic resources in all areas of the arts, design, engineering, humanities, medicine, and the sciences. Your ’Cane Card and CaneID provide unlimited access to all that the Libraries have to offer.
Speaking of access, and in support of the evolution in scholarly communication, the Libraries have spearheaded a collaboration with several publishers to pilot opportunities to publish open access journal articles for our research community. Additional information on these programs can be found in our Open Access Funding research guide.
This fall semester, I invite you to connect with the Libraries’ community, learn more about our many offerings and programming—from research and creative support to well-being—and meet the talented librarians and staff that are here to support you and your studies.
Dean and University Librarian
Fall 2023 Library Service Highlights
- Online and in-person consultations, instructional sessions, and workshops on a wide range of topics are available. Be sure to bookmark our website’s Online Services page or one of our customized pages for faculty, undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni, and community members.
- Discover and explore the Learning Commons. Partners at the Writing Center, Camner Center for Academic Resources, Math Lab, Office of Academic Advancement, and more are available for consultations.
- Find your favorite place to study quietly or collaboratively in one of our many locations. You can plan ahead and book a study room.
- Request and retrieve books and other circulating items. Current University of Miami students, faculty, and staff are welcome to access and browse our physical collections. We will continue to offer paging services for all our circulating collections. Learn more about requesting materials.
- “Smart lockers” at the Otto G. Richter Library. You can pick up your materials—such as books, videos, and more—through this secure and convenient process that is available to you 24/7. Simply choose “Lockers at Richter Library” from the drop-down menu when submitting your request using the process above.
- Course reserves are available to assist you with preparing class materials—including print and digital textbooks, e-books, articles, streaming media, personal copies, and open educational resources. Learn more about course reserves.
- Interlibrary loan is available to request print books and other tangible materials from our partner libraries. Visit our Interlibrary Loan Services page for more information.
- Technology loans, such as laptops and other equipment, are available at Richter Library Access Services through the Laptop Lending Program.
- Get help with creative projects and software; print posters, photos, and 3D objects; check out cameras and other audiovisual equipment; and explore new technologies at the Creative Studio and XR Community Lab.
- You are welcome to visit our distinctive collections. Explore the Cuban Heritage Collection, Special Collections, and University Archives.
- Get support for digital humanities, data management, qualitative methods, statistics, and GIS services and software at the Digital Scholars Lab, which is located on the third floor of the Richter Library.
- For questions or to request assistance, please contact your subject librarian.
And, no matter your interests—history, wellness, culture, arts and music—you can always count on the University of Miami Libraries to offer you a stimulating learning opportunity and a moment of diversion. Visit our Library Events page to learn more, and please note the on-demand availability of recordings of our past events. If you have not done so already, consider becoming a member of the Friends of the Libraries and the Amigos of the Cuban Heritage Collection to further support your Libraries.
While on campus, be sure to visit the exhibitions that are ongoing in the Richter Library, the Kislak Center at the University of Miami, the Roberto C. Goizueta Pavilion, and the Johnny C. Taylor, Jr. Breezeway in the Dooly Memorial Building.
Our faculty and staff look forward to seeing you online or in person at any of our six locations:
Coral Gables Campus
- Architecture Research Center | School of Architecture
- Judi Prokop Newman Information Resource Center | Herbert Business School
- Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library and Technology Center | Frost School of Music
- Otto G. Richter Library (Interdisciplinary)
Medical Campus in the Health District
- Louis Calder Memorial Library | Miller School of Medicine
Rosenstiel Campus on Virginia Key
- Rosenstiel School Library | Rosenstiel School of Marine, Atmospheric, and Earth Science
My colleagues and I wish you an engaging and successful fall semester!