Dear UM Community,
It is my great pleasure to welcome new and returning students, faculty, and staff to the University of Miami Libraries (UML). The Libraries rank among the top 50 academic research libraries in North America and support the full range of research, teaching, learning, and clinical care activities across all three of the University’s campuses located in Coral Gables, on Virginia Key, and in the Health District near downtown Miami. UML provides extraordinarily broad and deep print and electronic resources in all areas of the arts, design, engineering, humanities, medicine, and the sciences. Your ’Cane Card and Cane ID provide unlimited access to all UML has to offer.
Dean and University Librarian
Fall 2021 Library Service Highlights
- Online and in-person consultations, instructional sessions, and workshops on a wide range of topics are available. Be sure to bookmark our website’s Online Services page or one of our customized pages for faculty, undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni, and community members.
- Discover and explore the Learning Commons. Partners at the Writing Center, Camner Center for Academic Resources, Math Lab, Office of Academic Advancement, and more are available for consultations.
- Find your favorite place to study quietly or collaboratively in one of our many locations. No reservations required, unless you’d like to book a study room.
- Request and retrieve books and other circulating items. Current UM students, faculty, and staff are welcome to access and browse our physical collections. We will continue to offer the paging services inaugurated during the pandemic for all of our circulating collections. Learn more about requesting materials.
- New suite of “smart lockers” at the Richter Library. You can now pick up your materials—such as books, laptops, videos, and more—through this secure and convenient process that is available to you 24/7. Simply choose “Lockers at Richter Library” from the drop-down menu when submitting your request using the process above.
- Interlibrary loans (ILL) are available for the requesting of print books and other tangible materials from our partner libraries. Visit UML’s Interlibrary Loan Services page for more information.
- Virtualized computing provides online access to computers in Richter Library’s Information Commons and Digital Scholars’ Lab. Explore our virtualized computing offerings.
- Technology loans, such as laptops and other equipment, are available at Richter Library Access Services through the Laptop Lending Program.
- Get help with creative projects and software; print posters, photos, and 3D objects; check out cameras and other audiovisual equipment; and explore XR technologies at the Creative Studio.
- Distinctive Collections are open. You are welcome to visit the Cuban Heritage Collection, Special Collections, and University Archives.
- Get support for digital humanities, data management, qualitative methods, statistics, and GIS services and software at the Digital Scholars’ Lab, which is now located on the third floor of the Richter Library.
- For questions or to request assistance, please contact your subject librarian.
And, no matter your interests—history, wellness, culture, arts and music—you can always count on UML to offer you a stimulating learning opportunity and a moment of diversion. You can find the dates for some of our upcoming events at the bottom of this message. Visit our Library Events page to learn more, and please note the availability of recordings for all of our events held during the 2020–2021 academic year.
These services and programs may be subject to change in accordance with the University of Miami’s COVID-19 policies and guidelines, which are updated and revised as new information becomes available. Masks must be worn in all UML facilities according to the Fall Semester Guidelines issued June 1, which state: “masks are still required in classrooms and public spaces, including libraries, the Campus Store, the Herbert Wellness Center, and other publicly shared spaces, regardless of vaccination status.” For the latest news and resources on this topic, visit coronavirus.miami.edu.
Our UML faculty and staff look forward to seeing you online or in person at any of our six accessible locations:
Coral Gables Campus
Medical Campus in the Health District
Rosenstiel Campus on Virginia Key
Connect with us today by visiting and exploring all that our Libraries have to offer, and we invite you to join our mailing list.
My library colleagues and I wish you an engaging and successful semester!
Save the Date | Fall 2021
- Wednesdays: Mindfulness Practice in Community (4 p.m.)
- September 15: Goizueta Fellows Forum (1 p.m.)
- September 23: Deep Dives into Special Collections with Arthur Dunkelman (1 p.m.)
Schedule reflects the time zone in Miami, Florida, USA (EDT). Featured events are open to the public and will be hosted using Zoom when offered online. We recommend that you connect to each online event ten minutes prior to its start time to test your connection and ensure that your technology is properly configured. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.