The Learning Commons supports learning at the University of Miami through the co-location, coordination and enhancement of existing academic services. Complementing the classroom experience, the Learning Commons helps students in all disciplines pursue their own intellectual goals in conversation with peers and experts and with access to scholarly and creative resources. By increasing the accessibility of services, it optimizes library space at the center of the Coral Gables campus. We are striving to create an inviting new learning environment that is symbolic of the University’s common purpose: to transform lives through teaching, research, and service.
The University of Miami Libraries’ Learning Commons is the result of collaboration with campus partners including the Camner Center for Academic Resources, Academic Technologies, Writing Center, and Math Lab. The planning process for designing the vision, mission, and service model for the Learning Commons was facilitated by Brightspot Strategy in 2015. This process resulted in two reports: a User Research Report and a Service, Staffing and Space Strategy Brief.
Annual Reports and Key Usage Statistics
- Key Usage Statistics 2021-22
- Key Usage Statistics 2020-21
- UML LC Annual Report 2019-20 – Executive Summary
- Key Usage Statistics 2019-20
- UML LC Annual Report 2018-19
- Key Usage Statistics 2018-2019
- Key Usage Statistics 2017-2018
Questions or Comments
For questions and comments about the Learning Commons, please contact:
Help students become effective and independent learners with the ability to identify, critically analyze and apply relevant information and technologies as well as the skills necessary to communicate across disciplines and cultures.
Offer opportunities to work individually and collaboratively, learn from peers and experts, discover and explore resources and ideas, and create and experiment. Provide an inviting, comfortable, and technology-rich environment.
- Leonidas G. Bachas, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Mykel Billups, Assistant Dean, Student and Postgraduate Support Services (Student Affairs)
- Charles D. Eckman, Dean of Libraries (Co-Chair)
- Caleb Everett, Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Arts and Sciences
- Maria Galli Stampino, Dean of Undergraduate Affairs; Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and College Diversity, College of Arts and Sciences (Co-Chair)
- Allan Gyorke, Chief Academic Technology Officer and Associate Vice President for Academic Technologies
- Kelly Miller, Associate Dean for Learning and Research Services, UM Libraries
- Mike Sardiñas, University Architect
- Karin Wilkins, Dean of the School of Communication
- Andrew Williams, Executive Director of Space Management